Saturday, January 2, 2021

Open NanoCarbon Annual New Year's Letter

Hello.

Last year was one hell of a year. Never before have I seen so much widespread grief, soul-crushing misery, and response from people. We lost so many. We examined ourselves and started work to recognize and open access and opportunities for Black lives and in turn, will help all minorities. Even today, much of the world, our healthcare, and essential workers are still in the trenches. And we still have an unequal society.

I put my long-shot quest of building an energy storage device on hold while I battled my own depression. I was thankful for the kindness of strangers and friends.

I'm continuing ONC for January. I am seeking a stipend or paying work. I have not been revenue positive since '15. Instead, I've invested in learning, and experimenting, including creating ONC, a poster session at the 2018 International Negative Emissions Conference in Sweden, a preprint, met Christiana Figueres at the end of the GCAS '18 at College of Marin in California, DD BASF, Maker Faire, and for Autofracture built rGO in a bedroom and then a garage, and created the new logo for ONC. In early fall I reached out to the UN as our sky turned orange, an annual sight in Napa and Sonoma Counties but unfamilar to those more south.

While researching Carbon Removal scalability, I found the projected market demand for carbonates and basalt projects is larger than direct conversion to solid carbon. As such, ONC is changing its goal of 'removing hundreds of gigatonnes in less than two decades' to 'the fastest large scale conversion' to solid carbon. The choice is twofold; we still need solid carbons to produce goods like polymers and bitumen and ought to democratize 3D printing.

ONC Climate Modeling Research

ONC is still researching climate modeling to get to zero degrees warming over the start of industry (mean temperature from 1720-1800). And will be continuing to build off the pymagicc team's work in python workbooks at https://github.com/hsbay/cdrmex. I'm looking for sponsors of this project https://bit.ly/cdrmexprj as well as volunteer coders. I've opened an ONC issue to calibrate MAGICC 6 for negative emissions, as MAGICC 7 won't be available till the fall of 2021. Other issues will be opened, soon. Ideally, I intend to get this done in Jan.

To better understand how to achieve and what happens at zero cumulative anthropogenic emissions, we need climate modeling outlining Earth's dynamic response. CDRMIP has not adopted baseline calibration carbon removal tests to absolute zero to complete in less than a century. The Zero Emissions Commitment paper outlines what happens for removal to 1.5ºC, not cumulative zero anthropogenic emissions. Cao and Calderia's 2009 paper starts removal after reaching 511 ppm in 2049. Hopefully, our efforts will inspire others to look at pushing beyond Paris. Early modeling to cumulative anthropogenic zero shows we must achieve 1.5ºC (Paris) and head much lower before 2100. Early modeling also shows we need to move off all fossil gasses to eliminate Montreal/Kigali controlled SFGHGs. For continuing research http://bit.ly/cdrmexprj

Many of my in situ reports are in tweets, please do visit, read and share my pinned thread that shows supporting reasoning as to why we must reach at least 92% of net zero by 2030. (https://twitter.com/safiume/status/1307053939901313026)

ONC Physical Sci Research

There are a few recent CO₂ to solid carbon/liquid hydrocarbons in the past few years. As ONC's charter is open science, only those open science candidates can be adopted and adapted by ONC. Depending on how much runway I have, how ONC grows, what labs are open, and vaccine availability, I'll either manage or be the PI for electrochemical CDR experiment(s) in the fall of 2021. As I have no physical lab, nor have I've been vaccinated; this is very speculative.

I've moved to San Francisco for health and a shorter commute to the bay's labs. It has raised my rent. I will have to take a break from ONC at the end of Jan until I replenish my runway. I hope to start ONC physical science research in the fall unless ONC receives donations. SLAC/LBNL labs are free, assuming ONC wins the grant/PI process to be accepted to perform open science. The donations would support any materials the labs may not have and a living stipend.

The fact that I'm asking for money is likely a failing on my part as a founder. However, I've started things that no one has attempted: ONC, and green catalysis of rGO in a garage.

The year 2020 was an exceedingly difficult time. If you would like to restart your participation in open science, contact Shannon. I look forward to hearing from you.

Wishing you good health, stay safe, and quick access to vaccines.

Yours in service to a better climate,

≈sa

----------

Shannon A. Fiume

shannon at autofracture dot com | https://twitter.com/safiume | https://linkedin.com/in/safiume | http://www.autofracture.com/research | Go Carbon Negative!

No comments:

Post a Comment