Friday, April 22, 2016

gender pronouns and science

When I was younger, say in the first or second grade, I reasoned that if I wanted to become a scientist, I had to see gender pronouns as gender neutral. That way I'd never think I was excluded from science, and everything would be fine. I know, logic of a young child. It worked except other girls didn’t think the way I did and were confused that I liked science and didn’t want to play and worse some didn't want to talk to me as I was the weird one that was more interested in science. I just chose to focus on science when I had the chance. The downside is that I was very isolated save a few good friends.

Now days young girls have much more support in staying supported in science, and having a normal social life. If you know of any young one, lift her chin a little higher, and tell her science can move the world. We got to the moon, who knows where we’ll go next. And more importantly she can make it happen.

A fun book for little ones, Flatterland.

2 comments:

  1. I recognize that girl. She was me as well. I was nerdy before the pronoun existed. I wish I'd known others like you Ms Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Yeah for glass explorers, bringing communities together. At least we know each other now. :) When I'm down in the peninsula we should hang out more.

      Delete